Good Argument Essay Topics for College Students
Argument essays are a mode of discourse, where you take a position on an issue or question, and argue your point to convince the neutral reader and your opponent. Selecting a topic for an essay is perhaps the most difficult part of writing one. The arena is big, your interests vast!
Some things to keep in mind while choosing a topic are:
- Choose a topic that has not been discussed before. Since, that is an ambitious goal at best, try something that is not common.
- Choose something interesting that is likely to grab the reader’s attention.
- Current events and controversial topics are great for argument essays.
- Most importantly, be true to yourself. Choose a topic that means something to you. Your enthusiasm is going to seep into your words and make your essay powerful.
You can write down all the areas that interest you on a sheet of paper and then shortlist the ones you like best. Narrow down your choices by subcategories if you do not have a general idea of what you want to write about.
If nothing works, here is a list of topics you can choose from:
- Men/women are more intelligent than women/men are.
- Evolution is a fact: Teaching creationism should be banned in schools.
- Addiction is a personal choice: addicts should be left alone.
- Social classes are more detrimental to society than cultural backwardness.
- Wars should/should not be fought.
- Government should spend more/less on arms and ammunition.
- Israel/Palestine is the aggressor in the Middle East conflict.
- Bicycles are a healthier alternative to cars.
- Polygamy should/should not be considered natural.
- Acquiring a divorce should/should not be easier.
- Divorce is better for children than seeing their parents at war.
- The workday should be shorter/longer.
- The workweek should be shorter/longer.
- Minimum wage should be higher/lower.
- Use of stem cells from human fetus should be illegal.
- Abortion is/is not a personal decision.
- Children should/should not be strictly monitored.
- Child abuse laws should be stricter than they are.
- US Immigration laws should be relaxed/stricter.
- Foods that contain carcinogens should be banned from sale.
- Sellers of mercury-containing skin creams should be punished harshly.
- Humans create poverty.
- The global food crisis is solvable if profits are lowered or abolished.
- Access to condoms prevents/does not prevent teen pregnancy.